Monday, February 20, 2017

Veterans Day (Galaxy & Citra) IPA


Coming off about seven months of lagers, I was ready for an IPA again. I felt inspired after trying some IPAs at Narrow Gauge in Florissant, MO. I've read a lot about the northeast style ipa (NEIPA), but I had never tried a real one, and still have never had one from the actual northeast.

But, again, I've read a lot of the research, so I felt like I knew enough to brew one myself (and this actually wasn't my first attempt). 

For this beer, I went with Wyeast 1318, oats, wheat, and galaxy and citra hops. The result is certainly hazy.

The keg just kicked today, and for a three-month old beer, it has held up amazingly well. Perhaps because I dry-hop in the keg and don't remove the hops. Which might also be my downfall for this and the beer just after this one.

As I recall, I used the shake method to carbonate this keg at least once. I guess that wasn't enough, because I know I set the PSI at about 30-35 for 24 hours just before Thanksgiving, which got the carbonation to the level I wanted. But anyway, the shaking somehow allowed a lot of hop matter to get out of the mash paint bag I use to dry hop.

The result is a somewhat harsh beer, and a lot of tiny hop pieces visible in the beer.

It tastes pretty solid though, if a tough astringent from all those hops. Galaxy dominates; maybe citra just a tad in the background? 

Pretty strong aroma.

Low clarity, as seen in the above picture, but that was taken a week or two ago, and the beer had cleared up substantially as of today. 

Brewed: 11/11/2016
Kegged: 11/20/2016

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/veterans-day-ipa-116ccc

No comments:

Post a Comment