Friday, December 30, 2016

Vienna Lager


Over the past year, I took a strong interest in lagers, particularly German lagers. I researched a number of varieties and tried several commercial beers. Eventually, Vienna Lager made it onto my list of beers to brew. I understand it's not of German heritage, so it doesn't really fit the German theme, but for this beer I used German yeast (34/70), German malt (Avangard Vienna), and German hops.


I kegged this beer nearly three months ago, and it cleared nicely without the use of gelatin or other clarifying agents (aside from Irish Moss in the boil). However, this keg is stored elsewhere, and the CO2 tank with it is too large to fit in the fridge, so I just attach the gas when I want to draw off a pint. The end result, though, was dwindling carbonation. The beer in the photos is under-carbonated. I later utilized the shake method to force carbonate the beer, which rendered it cloudy again.


How does it taste and smell? The aroma is of slight caramel, sweetness, bread. The taste is bready, with hops lacking. Commercial examples (including the fantastic Sierra Nevada Vienna Lager) I've had were prominently hoppy. The upside is that the restrained hops allow the malt to shine through nicely, and it does. Taste is not quite as complex as the nose. When crystal clear, meaning that all the flavor-impacting solid particulates have dropped out, it even has a tangy, fruity quality--apparently in the realm of citrus, according to my dad. Perhaps some residual hops? This beer tastes extremely clean, so I don't believe any esters made it through.

Finally, I have to say I'm quite pleased with 34/70 yeast overall. It's pretty easy to use and produces a tasty beer. There might be a limit to the number of generations you can use it before it starts throwing off flavors (this last packet I used three times, with Helles 5 being the last), but when it's doing what it's supposed to, it's excellent. Cheers!

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/vienna-lager-2-72f3ce

No comments:

Post a Comment