Saturday, February 25, 2017

11-20-16 IPA



I've cut back on drinking lately, so my beer hangs around longer. I brewed this beer on Nov. 20 and kegged it Dec. 11. The keg is mostly full, owing to drinking the veterans day ipa first, and to the fact that this one is a bit harsh.

I was going for the New England style. I'd say I nailed the appearance. It's certainly hazy, but not murky.

Low to medium-low aroma.

Flavor is generic fruit. Grapefruit. Orange juice. Where do these beer reviewers come up with all these specific terms? Mango, papaya, and what not. Most of the time they taste like some sort of unidentifiable fruit. Or grapefruit. As does this one.

Upfront this beer tastes fine. But the aftertaste is where it fails. As usual, I dry-hopped this beer in the keg, using a paint bag suspended with unflavored dental floss.

I had difficulty carbonating the beer. I set the PSI at 30 or 35 for a day or two and the beer simply would not carbonate. I have no idea why. Ultimately I decided to use the shake method. Unfortunately, when I did that, the hops leaked out of the bag. So now, the beer has bits of hops in it. And I think the hops are contributing the harsh character to the beer. Before I kegged it, I sampled it, and it was well balanced. Not overly bitter. Good fruity flavor. Nice maltiness. But now it's slightly harsh. I've never had this issue with harshness for prior keg-dry-hopped beers.

Anyhow, going forward, I'll be cautious about dry hopping.

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/11-20-16-ipa

No comments:

Post a Comment