Saturday, October 31, 2015

Tropical fruit juice


This was a really delicious beer. Definitely up there with the best I've brewed. I had been reading a lot about northeast-style IPAs this year, since they've really exploded in popularity recently. I've never had the chance to try any of them, but I still like to watch youtube reviews and experience them vicariously. So that made me want to try to make my own.

I had also read Riverwards's posts about Tired Hands Hophands -- another one I've never tried -- so I had a basic idea of how they're done. I didn't have London Ale III, though, but I did have oats. I do have a 100% galaxy hopped IPA with london ale iii fermenting now, and should be kegged in a day or so. So I'll see what 1318 and oats do to a beer.

The resulting beer was extremely tropical and the aroma was massive fruit. Maybe just a hint of bubble gum. I don't think I added enough oats to get that creamy mouth-feel, but it did seem to be creamier than my typical hoppy beers. The oats also seemed to impart a constant haze; usually my beers clear up pretty well after sitting in the keg a few weeks.

This one went fast, just four weeks from kegging to empty. And it prompted another homebrewer to say, you made this? 

5 gallons

9.0 lb 2-Row
1.0 lb Munich - Light 10L
0.75 lb Flaked Oats
0.13 lb CaraMunich II
0.13 lb Caramel/Crystal 60

1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin 7 min
1.0 oz Amarillo 7 min
1.0 oz Citra 7 min
1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin 3 min
1.0 oz Citra 3 min
1.0 oz Amarillo 3 min

2.0 oz Amarillo 30 min Whirlpool
2.0 oz Citra 30 min Whirlpool
1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin 30 min  Whirlpool

2.0 oz Citra 30 days Dry Hop
2.0 oz Amarillo 30 days Dry Hop

US-05

Brewed 8-15-15
Kegged 8-30-15

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/hoppy-ipa-2





No comments:

Post a Comment