Saturday, October 31, 2015

El Dorado / Equinox IPA


This is a really solid beer. Oniony dankness. But in an enjoyable way. This is my second beer with ingredients that differ from what I as a novice homebrewer originally thought was appropriate for a hoppy beer. Initially, the recipes I encountered called for a decent amount of crystal malt, but I found them to be much more tasty without it. The resulting beers are dry, without being overly dry, and golden from the pale malt and a touch of crystal, just for color, which makes them look delicious.

5 gallons

10 lbs 2 row
4 ounces crystal 60

0.33 oz Galena 60 min
0.5 oz El Dorado 20 min
0.5 oz Equinox 15 min
0.5 oz El Dorado 12 min
0.5 oz Equinox 7 min
0.5 oz El Dorado 
0.5 oz Equinox 5 min
0.5 oz El Dorado 1 min
0.5 oz Equinox 1 min
0.5 oz Equinox 0 min
0.5 oz El Dorado 0 min

Dry hops:
2 ounces equinox
2 ounces el dorado

US-05

Brewed: 5-25-15
Kegged: 6-15-15

Dry hops stayed in the keg from beginning to end; this beer disappeared a long time ago. No grassy flavors. I think this method is very effective. I don't want to dry-hop in the primary fermentor, because I like to reuse the yeast, but I don't want to transfer to a secondary fermentor, because that risks contamination. So this works very well for me.

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/hoppy-pale-ale-2-may-2015


No comments:

Post a Comment