Sunday, November 20, 2022

Golden Hop / Idaho 7 IPA

As mentioned in the previous post, following the Nelson beer I made another IPA using the hops in the title. I'm not sure I had tried these hops before in a commercial beer, and I certainly hadn't in a homebrew. These hops, too, were very old. I bought them in 2015 but never used them. However, the vacuum seal remained intact this time, and that made a big difference. This was a rare evening brew, and on a weeknight at that. I was up very late brewing. 

The hop flavor is sort of dank, maybe kind of white wine-like, melon. It's very bright and fresh. I'm impressed that they held up as well as they did, and some homebrew club members who tried it also seemed impressed.

Very clean fermentation. No issues with the expired US-05. It's a tad bitter for a northeast-style IPA, and it's cleared up a lot too, despite the oats. Still, not a bad beer overall, especially considering the age of the hops. 




No comments:

Post a Comment