Monday, September 7, 2020

Brulosophy Tiny Bottom Pale Ale


I rarely brew other people's recipes as I like the feeling of creativity and anticipation I feel when I write and brew my own. However, sometimes it pays to follow something tried and true, as sometimes things don't work out as intended. I scaled down my recipe manually one Saturday afternoon while sitting outside the homebrew shop. I didn't want to make it too complex with weird amounts, so I ballparked it. It's pretty close to the original. I got the ingredients at the brew shop in ozark one Saturday afternoon and tried to quickly scale the recipe out in the parking lot using the brewers friend app. I tried to manually scale the recipe to 5 gallons as best I could while also trying not to make it too complicated for the employee selecting, weighing, and crushing the grains for me. I have some old Fuggles on hand, but decided it’d be best to purchase fresh hops. So I got an ounce of Fuggles and Perle, a hop I’ve never used before. 

I read about this beer a pretty long time ago and somehow it got back on my radar earlier tis year. It sounded like an easy drinking pale ale, which is what I've been wanting to drink lately. Don’t really remember how I decided to add this one to the rotation. I’ve been watching a lot of homebrewing videos lately though, and one channel I subscribe to, clawhammer supply, made this beer. And I had read about it on brulosophy’s site. Anyway, here we are. 

It's the fourth in a series of beers I brewed this past winter, all using a single sachet of US-05. The original recipe calls for a different strain - San Diego Super yeast or something - but I was already using US-05, and it has never let me down.

Routine brew day, although I mixed up some hop additions. I substituted galena for magnum. And the original recipe calls for 1.5 oz or so total, but I had purchased two 1 oz hops packets and didn't feel like keeping around just .5 oz, so I put it all in.



Appearance: Golden, amber. Pretty clear without use of gelatin, just time. Off white, foamy head.

Aroma: Malt. No discernible hops. Bready?

Flavor: moderate body, good balance. Light bitterness. It had some earthy, herbal, noble hop flavor early on but those seem to have faded. It's mostly malt now, with maybe a hint of that herbal flavor in the background. Vienna malt is pretty prominent.

Overall: Very solid beer. I'm glad I brewed it. I like beers that I can drink without being overwhelmed with sweetness, bitterness, or alcohol. This strikes the perfect balance of all three.


Brew date: 2/1/2020
Keg date: 2/16/2020
OG 1.049-50
FG 1.010
~5.25 gallons
US-05



2 comments: