Saturday, November 18, 2017

ESB tasting


I've been drinking this beer for about a week. It's evolved during that time. At first, it was a little sweet, cloudy. I think that was due to the yeast and proteins that had settled at the bottom of the keg. But as I've drunk more of it, and as the gelatin does its thing, it's changed. It's certainly more clear, but it seems thinner and drier too.

The more I drink it, though, the more I believe those aren't bad things. You don't want a flabby ESB. At least I don't. Admittedly, my experience with the style -- English beers in general -- is limited.

Anyhow, it's a tasty beer. And I'm pleased with it.



Flavor: Caramel. Fruity hops and esters. Almost a cherry flavor at times. Bready malt. Crust from a piece of toast. Low bitterness. Aftertaste is crackery.

Aroma: Malt. Clean. No hops. Bready.

Appearance varies from copper/amber to crimson, depending on how wide the glass is.

Update 1/1/18:

This was a really good beer. Flavor seemed evolve over time, from an intial hoppy, estery flavor to one that was more malty, cracker, and floral.  It cleared up over time as well.

Gelatin was very effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment