Monday, July 18, 2016

helles version 2

Helles #1 turned out to be a disaster, due to brewer packaging error. All that research and waiting time for naught.

Before I realized a paper clip in the keg ruined that beer, I decided I'd give helles another shot, before perhaps just giving up on lagers altogether. So I brewed a very simple smash helles. Simply Rahr pilsner malt and hallertau hops.

After it was brewed, I dumped helles #1 and found the paper clip, which lifted my spirits, as I realized there wasn't a problem with my water or brewing process. Again I was encouraged when my dunkel turned out really well.

This beer was in the fermenter for about four weeks. Brewed on May 22; kegged on June 20. It stayed in the fermenter longer that I intended. I worried that that might have a negative impact on the beer. But I don't think it did. I tried a sample of the beer as it was being kegged (and thus warm and flat) and it tasted like warm, stale beer. That was concerning. But it tastes great now that it's cold, carbonated, and cleared up.

OG was 1.050, volume at about 5.25 gallons. Racked onto yeast cake that fermented the dunkel and helles #1. FG was 1.012.

I'm still trying to achieve something that tastes like Kansas City Bier Company helles or Weihenstephaner Original Premium. I'm not there yet. But this is a good beer. It reminds me of Gordon Biersch's Golden Export, which uses the same yeast and hops as mine (not sure what grain they use).

I've found that these beers just need to clear up to taste good. I don't really think there's any magic that happens with "lagering." Given time, gravity, and low temperatures, yeast, protein, hops, and other particulates will drop out of suspension, leaving behind a clear, crisp, clean, flavorful beer.

Clarity is important for this style of beer. In my opinion, a lager should be crisp, and it simply won't be crisp if it's hazy and yeasty.

Appearance: Very clear, but not crystal clear. Clearing with every pint drawn from the keg. Golden, with a faint haze.

Taste: Grain. Maybe a touch of astringency. Clean. No diacetyl, no off flavors. No hops. Except maybe a touch of a metallic hop flavor. NOT a paper clip this time. Grass. Hay. Bread. Little in the way of hop flavor. But there is a certain metallic flavor there. Incidentally, I had a miller lite in Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago. It tasted kind of like this beer. Not sure what to make of that. I'd be curious to find out what the PH of this beer is. It's got just the slightest touch of crisp, tanginess that a typical lager has.

Aroma: a hint of sulfur. grain. malt sweetness.


Overall, I'm pleased with this beer. I would definitely brew it again. I am fermenting these with a swamp cooler and ice bottles. I encourage anyone to give lagers a try.

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/munich-helles-version-2

No comments:

Post a Comment