Saturday, November 21, 2015

100% Galaxy IPA

This beer is finally carbonated after three weeks in the keg. [Note to self: try setting the gas at 30 psi for a day or two]. Despite going into the keg relatively clear, it's coming out opaque, presumably because it's been in contact with dry hops ever since I kegged it. And that's after several pours, probably at least a gallon so far.

Finish is somewhat dry, which is puzzling, since the early, flat samples I had were sweet, nearly to the point of cloying, and because the beer finished at around 1.014. However, it might just be carbonation, bitterness, and hop matter that leads to the perception of dryness.

I'm ok with some haze, but this beer is straight up cloudy, and I'd appreciate some more clarity.

Taste is ... galaxy hops? Fruity. I can't think of any flavor descriptors analogous to this hop except fruit. A family member tried a (flat) sample last weekend and immediately said "grapefruit." This recipe has seven ounces of galaxy hops. It's not extremely hoppy though. If I brewed it again, I might reduce the boil hops to three, put them later in the boil, and increase the dry hops to four ounces. Or maybe just increase the total to eight or nine ounces. This beer is not especially bitter, but it's apparent.

Overall, I'd say this recipe is successful. I set out to brew a northeast style ipa, but not actually having had any of those beers, I can't say I achieved my goal of emulating that style. As a stand-alone beer, though, I think it works.

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/galaxy-ipa-5666eb

Update 11/28/15:

The more I drink this, the clearer it gets, and the sweeter it becomes, too. I think the beers drawn from the keg early on contained more hop particulate, which led to increased perception of dryness. But now, as the beer has been in the keg for about four weeks, it is really hitting its stride. The hops are balanced by silky maltiness. It's cleared up, has great aroma and punchy hop flavor, and its golden appearance almost glows. The murky opacity has dwindled to a translucent haze. It's a really pretty beer.

12/8/15:

This is a fantastic beer. I wish I had the means to can it, because I'd do that so I could keep it around longer. Instead, I'm drinking it as quickly as possible to make room for other beers, as all four of my kegs are in use and I have a newly brewed beer and a completed beer (experimental grapefruit) ready to be kegged. I guess I'll just have to re-brew it at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment